- Employment Type
- Direct Hire
- Wall, New Jersey
BLACKROCK RESOURCES seeking an Assistant Controller to oversee the accounting and reporting requirements for the regulated utility and midstream investments. This position will provide accounting leadership and direction on implementation of related compliance and business initiatives; including those associated with New Jersey Board of Public Utility (BPU), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Research, document and educate on accounting guidance for non-routine or complex transactions impacting the regulated businesses and midstream investments. Partner with business units to plan and execute strategies. Support professional development initiatives, mentoring staff to build bench strength and utility accounting expertise.
The Assistant Controller will:
• Lead the accounting closing and reporting functions for the regulated utility and midstream investments with sound processes and procedures
• Guide the timely and accurate preparation of related business unit financial statements, as well as quarterly and annual disclosure requests related to the SEC, BPU and other external reports
• Oversee the accounting for the company’s utility plant and the integrity of asset information in the fixed asset management system
• Analyze and determine the effects of BPU Decisions and Orders and implement the appropriate accounting treatments in accordance with Accounting Standards Codification (ASC) 980 and industry practice
• Determine financial accounting and risk exposure implications resulting from changes in regulatory positions
• Ensure accounting practice is evolving appropriately to reflect changes in accounting and business landscapes as it relates to the utility and midstream investments
• Proactively plan around impacts from proposed accounting standards and communicate to senior management; provide guidance to team members and lead implementation efforts
• Perform other accounting impact studies as requested for planning and forecasting purposes
• Work cross-functionally with operational, regulatory and financial teams on data requests or testimony support to back up company regulatory initiatives, and provide recommendations on cost recovery and rate strategies
• Lead creative system design and process improvements to facilitate data analysis and planning strategies
• Actively utilize industry networking resources to maintain knowledge of industry changes and trends for continuous benchmarking to align with best practices
• Monitor key internal controls to ensure compliance with Sarbanes Oxley, improving design and effectiveness as changes occur in business and regulatory environment
• Initiate and support team building across accounting and finance to support goals to drive continuous results
Education and Experience
Requires Bachelor of Science in accounting combined with Certified Public Accountant status
10 or more years of progressive public or private accounting and managerial experience.
Regulated utility accounting experience with an in-depth knowledge of ASC 980.
Proficient with Microsoft Office and query tools
Desired: Familiarity with Big 4 accounting and master’s degree a plus. Knowledge of PowerPlan fixed asset management software. Experience collaborating and providing finance leadership on public utility regulatory initiatives, including base rate design and other cost recovery mechanisms.
BlackRock Resources, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer