Responsible for ensuring the safety, reliability and availability of all company vehicles and heavy construction equipment. Lead and manage all department activities including planning for efficient use of shop and field mechanics’ time, staffing with qualified personnel, inventory for all parts and spares, fuels and maintenance programs.
Principal (Essential) Duties
- Manage all programs relating to vehicle maintenance, licensing, title, and registration, fuel cards and telematics on all vehicles and construction equipment.
- Ensure local/state/federal regulatory compliance and reporting as it relates to the fleet and equipment, including documentation and recordkeeping.
- Conduct research, submit proposals for bids, compares prices, and negotiate with vendors to purchase or lease the best possible vehicles and equipment at the best price.
- Oversee the sale and/or auction of used vehicles and equipment as necessary.
- Coordinate with operations to ensure vehicle and equipment needs are met to fulfill production needs. Set up the transportation of the vehicles to and from a work site.
- Track the use of each piece of equipment, including monitoring costs associated with operating each piece to stay within the company’s fleet budget.
- Recruit, hire and retain the most qualified mechanics to deliver the best possible results. Maintain adequate staffing, enhancing productivity of personnel and achieving objectives within budget.
- Provide leadership as a coach and role model to direct reports. Ensure behaviors are in sync with core values through performance management, goal setting and professional development. Guide the team to achieve innovation and success.
- Ensure proper storage and housing of vehicles.
- Follow all policies and procedures, with strict attention to safety, per company and client standards.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- May be required to work overtime and/or make an adjustment to work schedule, particularly during peak construction periods, to ensure that all planned work is completed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of OSHA, PHMSA and DOT regulations and applicable regulatory compliance programs.
- Ability to interpret telematics and GPS data for fleet vehicles and equipment.
- Possess analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Be an effective time manager.
- Possess excellent management relationship skills; capable of building strong internal and external relationships. Operate with high professional ethics and in accordance with our clients core values. Maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills (oral and written) able to communicate clearly, concisely and professionally.
Experience/ Education Requirements
- Possess advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and relevant transportation and maintenance programs.
- Minimum of five years of experience in heavy construction equipment and vehicle maintenance; transportation and logistics and construction operations required.
- Minimum of three years supervisory experience.
Working Conditions/ Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to:
- Travel more than 50% to our clients offices and field locations utilizing a personal or company-provided vehicle. Must be licensed and insured to operate a vehicle.
- Perform Medium work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- See, hear, talk and perform tasks requiring manual dexterity and visual acuity, sit, stand, walk and other similar tasks requiring physical activity.
- Work location is generally split between an office and the field. When working outdoors you will be exposed to all types of weather including dry, wet and humid conditions where temperatures can range from below zero to 90+ degrees with exposure to noise, dust, gasses, fumes, mists, odors and vibrations; noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Operate a computer/tablet, copier, fax, telephone and other office-based equipment.