A key staff member that directly reports to and supports the Production Manager. A primary responsibility of the supervisor is to monitor working procedures and practices to ensure both high yields of quality product and reduced waste. Works closely with the operators to ensure all product is mixed, processed, baked, and transferred to packaging correctly as well as spends the appropriate amount of time in each production location while enforcing occupational safety, product quality, cost control, food safety /sanitation, timely changeover, timely reporting and managing personnel matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Ensure employee Safety by monitoring work habits and administering the company’s Safety policies.
- Ensure product quality by maintaining the posted quality standards, SOP’s, evaluating products daily, ensuring the necessary quality control records are maintained, and responding to customer complaints as directed by Quality Assurance.
- Utilize knowledge of the baking process to troubleshoot problems with raw materials and or equipment, maintaining the quality, specifications and integrity of all products.
- Set up and manage the flow of production from start to finish by ensuring the following:
- Establish and provide the proper sequence for running daily production.
- Monitor and maintain the company’s productivity standard by ensuring proper run rates and controlling changeovers and line stoppages.
- Monitor and ensure the proper operation of production equipment with an emphasis on not allowing employee misuse or abuse.
- Minimize waste by ensuring operating standards are followed, that scrap dough is re-used according to published Scrap Charts and that product is examined before being discarded and that alternatives are used when possible.
- Work with maintenance to limit lost line time due to mechanical stops.
- Eliminate mistakes by providing Daily Production Schedules with all needed information for all scheduled varieties and perform hourly checks to verify.
- In conjunction with quality assurance staff, inspects and measures products to verify conformance to specifications.
- Provide documented training for the production operators through the trainer or by ensuring on the job training (OJT) is scheduled.
- Support the company’s SQF Program by submitting all the necessary paperwork at the completion of each shift.
- In the absence of Assistant Quality Assurance Manager (SQF practitioner), and the Quality Assurance Manager (SQF Practitioner) the Production Supervisor will act on his/her behalf and be responsible in regard to all food safety and quality by remaining in accordance with SQF regulations and will enforce all responsibilities of the SQF practitioner for company.
- Maintain control of labor cost by properly scheduling employees to budgeted levels, minimizing overtime and eliminating excess hours.
- Ensure employees adhere to GMP’s and that SSOP’s for proper line cleaning and housekeeping are followed
- Ensure employees abide by company rules and regulations regarding attendance and job performance by providing leadership and implementing discipline if necessary.